Nerdy Boy Moodboard

I have done a Moodboard for my Nerdy Boy character
I then redraw these with different styles to see which style I would like/enjoy looking/drawing more

Here is what I found (I used references with creating these drawing)

This drawing Number 1 was to get back into the habit of drawing again, with uncleaned lines and coloured shading. This looks at the face of a man instead of a full body. This was a great warm-up with drawing and set me off to a great start
Drawing Number 2. This was the first full body drawing I tried, and I wanted to focus on the shading with this drawing, due to not feeling like I did a good job with Number 1. With shading, I added soft colouring with the shade colour I used. Not a bad result
Drawing Number 3, linework. After Number 2, I wanted to get the shape right, so I focused on the linework lots, first by breaking it up into basic shapes, then planning, then linework (a cleaner version because I am a stretchy artist). I was so pleased with the linework, I thought, what if I added colouring and shading?
This is the result of shading and colouring Number 3. I think it is cool. I do see that the shirt looks like it is shiny or allmost wet, but I'm still happy with the result. I first added very basic colouring to the drawing (purple this time) and used the colour of other places to shade darker areas. What I mean by this is that I shaded the light on the shirt with the skin colour, and shaded the dark with the pants colour. I did this so see if I can have it nice looking with a simple colour palette. I think it looks really nice
Drawing Number 4... I was looking into the face again, and wanted to hard shade instead of soft, also a little play with colours. I don't like it, but it did help me with using hard shading (my usual shading style with animation) and playing with bold colours. I don't think I will use this style but it was interesting
Drawing number 5. I like this one. I didn't want to try shading this time, I wanted to create a one toned drawing with simple colouring. I used white and purple to get the colour. I like how, even though it is only one colour with different lightness, it still looks like a complete drawing, graphic novel without shading almost. I am happy with how this one looks.

With this being the real life references, I will now have a small look at cartoon styles.

Comments